BOYS WILL BE BOYS

I live in Manukau City, South of Auckland; New Zealand. We have the densest pacific island population of any country in the world. The given is that meeting other like minded queers like yourself is easy, since geographically we’re all in the same city. You would think it were that simple. The Polynesian Princes of south Auckland are as closeted as the gays in the NRL. They have refined their visibility to a passing fragrance of I WANNA FUCK YOU BUT I”M WITH HER. The problem with this metaphor is that it reeks of homos in south Auckland but these men have succeeded in making themselves invisible.

So therein lays the problem of trying to engage and understand a type of man that exists only in theory. I imagine this type of man as wanting to express his sexual fluidity and attraction to the same sex however being stunted by his contradicting physicality, one of which is typically hetronormative and in gender specific terms what is appropriate for him to conform to i.e. “I am built in the manner of a man that is only biologically compatible with a significant other of the opposite sex”. This belief system is made a mantra that affirms a masculine stereotype and a gender ideal that is perpetuated, driven and motivated both sociologically and politically by a western heterosexual statuesque and moral majority.

The art works posted on this blog are inspired by this idea. This is JERRY THE FA’AFAFINE he is pleased to have finally found you and met you...


JERRY @ PECHAKUCHA MANUKAU 2010



Presented a talk at the 2010 Pecha Kucha night held at the new Mangere Art Centre as part of the Manukau Festival of Arts. The talk was to present JERRY THE FA'AFAFINE as an art project under construction, but more importantly to out JERRY in a public way and to the peeps of Manukau City. It made sence in my mind for JERRY THE FAF to flash his shit in Mangere (Mad and Angry).

I grew up in Mangere. The view from Archboyed Avenue painted by local gangbangstas F.M.S (Fuckin Mangere Styles) was that the "275" will kill you in your sleep, door step your chucks, closeline your gears and just generally fuck you up. I'm 27 and these same menacing shits I grew up with, running round wreaking fucking havoc like domestic terrorist, uneducated, unmotivated, stonefucked, drunk pissy and just all out "Don't give a fuck" guy; are the same fuckahs cruising online spaces for some cock and balls "stab up my meat" gun play.

So I laugh at the idea of presenting JERRY THE FAF to the peeps of mangere, knowing that thse boys (not men) may be in the audience.

Pecha Kucha works as a presentation of 20 photographic slides of anything. You then have 20 seconds per image to talk to what people are seeing in an attempt to make them feel like it was worth the $5 they paid to come see your shit..

As my presentation flicked through 20 gay pictures of JERRY with his ass and boobs out, I could hear the cringing of the straight men in the audience. I ended with a proposition to the men in the audince to model for me as a JERRY for an up comming exhibition in Wellington. At that moment there was a silence and I thought to myself.... "Who is the domestic TERRORIST now?"

It was great to have an affect on men. They know when to show when they're pussy!!

http://www.pechakucha.co.nz/

No comments:

Post a Comment